Mon, Nov 4: Sugar Mill

Drove back to the site of the R.W. Sugar Mill and museum, passing the high school.

Molokai+high+School%252C+Molokai+2013+%2528a3343%2529


The mill was built in 1878.  The evaporator was used to thicken the juice.  After which it cooled, forming sugar crystals and molasses.  Centrifuges, powered by the steam engine in turn powered by the boiler, separated the sugar from molasses.

R.+W.+Meyer+Sugar+Mill+site%252C+Molokai+2013+%2528b2378%2529

Evaporator%252C+R.+W.+Meyer+Sugar+Mill+site%252C+Molokai+2013+%2528b2363%2529

Centrifuges%252C+R.+W.+Meyer+Sugar+Mill+site%252C+Molokai+2013+%2528b2370%2529

Steam+engine%252C+R.+W.+Meyer+Sugar+Mill+site%252C+Molokai+2013+%2528b2371%2529

Boiler%252C+R.+W.+Meyer+Sugar+Mill+site%252C+Molokai+2013+%2528b2373%2529


In the afternoon, we drove back to Kaunakakai town, and walked around a bit.  This is the main, essentially only, town on the island of about 7,500 people.  Molokai only gets 80,000 visitors a year, which is still too many for some of the residents.  They have only one hotel, with some bed and breakfasts and some condos that can be rented.

No comments: